You May Not Know About the Great Television on PBS

I used to joke with my mom that she would watch anything that moved on TV unless it was on PBS. But that's my favorite network. My first real addiction came during "Upstairs, Downstairs." The five-season series was the most popular Masterpiece Theater program ever, and it had lots of competition. The host at that time was Alistair Cooke. Sesame Street (one of the educational children's shows, if there's anyone left who doesn't know that) had a segment in which Cookie Monster played "Alistair Cookie," hosting a show called "Upstairs, Downstairs." The show consisted of Grover going up the stairs, then down the stairs.

There were many more to follow that brought quality programming each Sunday night. "Jeeves and Wooster" (a very young and different Hugh Laurie), "Last of the Mohegan's," "Anna Karenina," so many Shakespearian dramas and comedies, many stories from Dickens, historic dramas, and my absolute favorite, "Prime Suspects."

Helen Mirren is always superb in the other Masterpieces like "Painted Lady" and "Elizabeth I," but her portrayal of Jane Tennison amazed me. Now the complete Jane Austin is keeping me tuned.

Then there are the wonderful science and nature programs. Nature, Nova, Scientific American Frontiers, Wired Science, plus many special programs about health entertain as well as educate. Alan Alda adds humor and a willingness to participate on Scientific American Frontiers. Nature is so full of beauty and information that I learn something new every episode.

Not only is there Sesame Street for the young and young at heart, but my favorite, Reading Rainbow. It introduces a book, and then takes the viewer on a sometimes worldwide exploration of topics related to the book. I used this in my classroom from fifth grade to kindergarten when I taught. That's only a few of the exceptional children's shows.

Ken Burns presented many in-depth histories of wars, baseball, jazz, the West, biographies, and more. The American Experience, History Detectives, and other specials offer unique views of history.

Britcoms on PBS have been some of my favorite shows to watch. The Vicar of Dibley with Dawn French was hilarious as well as touching. It was comedy with a cause. Judi Dench as Jean and Geoffrey Palmer as Lionel in As Time Goes By were a perfect match. This fall they are returning with the rest of the cast for two more specials. It's really something I will look forward to viewing. Among the popular shows are Waiting for God, Keeping Up Appearances, Chef, and Faulty Towers.

Another wonderful show from the BBC is All Creatures Great and Small. After reading all the stories by James Herriot, I was doubtful this series could live up to the books. It was so well done that it did, and I'm enjoying the reruns now. It's a delight to animal lovers, but captivating stories for anyone.

There are how-to programs for just about anything you want to know how to do. The French Chef with Julia Child started it all with me. She continued with master chefs to present many different cuisines. Now there are various shows that inspire cooking many new dishes. And This Old House inspires us to remodel and tell us how.

News is reported in many different ways. The Jim Lehrer New Hour usually presents a balanced reporting on major issues. I just wish it weren't on at the same time as the local and national new on my cable network. Bill Moyers, Charlie Rose, and others look closely at important issues.

Music, from opera to rock, is a part of PBS. Great Performances continually lets us see musical programs that are superb. Boston Pops has a summer program that includes backstage interviews as well as the weekly concerts. Andre Reiu and his Johann Straus Orchestra have put on some spectacular events. There is a changing and exciting parade of performers.

I'm grateful to PBS for introducing me to so many experiences that would have passed me by. It's hard to pick one, but if I had to, it would be Koko the gorilla who speaks with sign language. If you don't know about Koko, you should watch PBS.

Movie Comedy

Danos tu comentario